Where is LJB Security located?

58 Renshaw Dr. East Haven, CT 06512

What is a security officer / security guard and what does one do?

A Security Officer or Security Guard is the licensed and registered person hired to safeguard and protect persons and property by: (A) the detection or prevention of any unlawful intrusion or entry, larceny, vandalism, abuse, arson or trespass on property such security officer is hired to protect, or (B) the prevention, observation, or detection of any unauthorized activity on property the security officer was hired to protect. Security Officers may be employed by a security service or employed by a business as a uniformed employee who performs security work on the premises of the employer’s business when such premises are located in an area that is accessible and unrestricted to the public or has access only by paid admission.

How soon after I take the class and apply for the CT State Security Officer’s License can I start working?


Click this line to view the changes in the law.

Who is in charge of registering and monitoring security officers / guards in Connecticut?

The State of Connecticut Department of Emergency Services & Public Protection registers and monitors security guards and the security industry. Their website is Connecticut Department of Emergency Services & Public Protection. You can contact them at 860-685-8494.


How do I become a licensed security officer in Connecticut?

All potential licensed security officers must complete the Security Officer Certification Class in order to obtain their Ct Guard Card. In addition to the class the state of Connecticut has a variety of other requirements that must be met.

What are the requirements for Connecticut guard card registration?

Applicants must be 18 years of age and have not been convicted of a felony or sexual offense. Must be a citizen or resident alien of the United States.

What do I need after I take class when I go to obtain my license?

You will need several documents and forms as well as the associated fees for each:


  • A security officer’s identification application (DPS-135-C)
  • A set of fingerprint cards (one (1) blue-FBI and one (1) green-State of Connecticut Applicant); $15.00
  • The following fees will apply; (a.) Application fee ($100.00), (b.) FBI background inquiry ($12.00), (c.) State of Connecticut background inquiry ($75.00)
  • Copy of current Connecticut Drivers License (Actually any state ID or driver’s license)
  • Papers of Naturalization (if applicable)

***Four (4) separate checks or money orders are needed for the above identification card. The fee for the application must be made payable to the Treasurer, State of Connecticut. Or you can pay by cash with exact change.***

Who is authorized to take fingerprints?

The Connecticut Department of Emergency Services & Public Protection (CDESPP) and local police departments.

***The (CDESPP) is known to reject fingerprints they do not take unless they are up to standard. Sometimes police and private companies make a little smudge or mistake and we recommend to you only make one trip to get your prints done at the (CDESPP).*** Some CT companies will want to charge you $50 for fingerprints while the state (CDESPP) only charges $15.00. Be alert of CT companies that charge you for fingerprints.

Is the guard card lesson plan and Connecticut state exam available in Spanish?

Yes the lesson plan is available in English and you can read along Spanish. In addition the exam is available in English or Spanish.

Is the guard card Connecticut state exam available in French?


How long is the certification class good for before getting the license?

The class and certification are good for up to 1 year after you take the class. After that the Connecticut Department of Emergency Services & Public Protection (CDESPP) makes you take the course over again.

How soon does a security officer / guard need to renew their CT security guard license?

Every 5 years for a $100 fee. No classes necessary as long as the card isn’t allowed to expire.

What happens if I lose my certification I received from your class?

Depending on your payment method the cost of a duplicate will change. If you paid by Paypal, Debit Card, or Credit Card there is a $25 fee for a duplicate and if you paid by cash or money order there is a $50 fee for a duplicate.

How can I renew my license or replace a lost one?

Call the CT Dept of Emergency Services & Public Protection at 860-685-8494 & they will be happy to explain the process if you lost your license. If you lose your license please do not call as we can not help you with that particular issue. Your license is good for 5 years. Currently it costs $100 every 5 years to renew your license and there is no course you have to ever take again as long as you do not let it expire.
However, once it expires for more than 90 days you are allowed to renew it for a fee. Contact the CT Dept of Emergency Services & Public Protection at 860-685-8494 & they will be happy to explain the process for renewing and all fees involved as we are not involved in that process. However, if your license is more than 90 days expired and if you wish to renew you will be treated as a brand new student and must register and pay for the class as you did the first time. In other words pretend like you never had one.

What if I have a New York Security Officer License or a license from another state? Can I transfer it to Connecticut?

No. Connecticut does not accept Security Officer Certifications from any other states. You must register for class and obtain a Connecticut Security Officer’s License (CT Guard Card).

Are Veterans exempt from registration or payment?

The state of Connecticut now waives the class as a requirement for veterans if honorably discharged within 2 years, active military, reserves and national guard.(a) The state will now waive this education course to some not all retired law enforcement officers as well. We strongly suggest that if you fall under one of those categories that you call the CSP Special Licensing Unit at 860-685-8494 if you have any specific questions before registering for this course as only they will waive this course requirement. Veterans if honorably discharged within 2 years, active military, reserves, national guard, and some not all retired law enforcement should contact the CSP Special Licensing Unit at the Department of Emergency Services and Public Protection before registering for this course. If you choose to take the course, payment in full is required.

Read more about the opportunities in Public Act 14-13 right here.

Other than that, no one is exempt and the general public must take the Connecticut mandated course.

a. Due to being a private organization we do not waive any of the tuition…all income is derived solely from tuition. Any waiving of any fees you may contact the state and simply ask and they will answer.

If I am a retired police officer, corrections, or military do I have to register?

The state of Connecticut will now waive this education course to some not all retired law enforcement officers. Military if honorably discharged within 2 years or currently in service. However, as in the case of all professions, someone to guide you might not be a bad thing as I have decades of experience and some job opportunities that I can share and help enlighten you on our vastly growing and vastly changing security industry in Connecticut. Please call the CSP Special Licensing Unit at 860-685-8494 if you have questions because their policies change on an extremely frequent basis and I cannot guess their policy changes on retired law enforcement.

Where can I purchase things like handcuffs, pepper spray, batons, and uniform supplies?

Call me to find out where to purchase security equipment @ discounts. 203-907-6594

Are there additional requirements for an armed security guard registration?

Yes. There are several steps to take before you can become a licensed armed security guard.

  • Obtain a permit to carry a pistol in the state of Connecticut.
  • Obtain a Ct Guard Card.
  • Obtain an armed security position.
  • Be assigned a weapon by your employer. Some employers will give you a duty weapon although, most employers tell you which kind of pistol to purchase and do not give you a weapon
  • Obtain a permit to carry a pistol while working (CT Blue Card).
  • Register with the state police as an armed security officer.

The CT Blue Card is weapon specific so the only weapon you will be allowed to carry on your person or in your vehicle on your way to work, while at work, or on your way home from work will be the one you qualified with. Please don’t hesitate to call with any questions on this subject matter. I will be happy to clarify for you. Read up on the full process of Ct Blue Card certification.

Where can I get my pistol permit in Connecticut?

You can register and pay online right here at this website. Click here to register and pay online.

There is little need for a Utah pistol carry permit any more because the class CT Pistol Permit Class I teach is also good in Florida. If you obtain a Florida non-resident carry permit it’s available in approximately 30 States.

Where can I take the class for my Security Blue Card training and certification?

We are now providing Ct Security Blue Card training classes for armed security officers. Register here for the Blue Card classes.

Looking for Work?

Some companies hire right out of our classes. We feature a jobs page on our site with a variety of security jobs in Ct working for some of the best companies in the state. Click here for our jobs page.